- How long have you taught here at the Kerman High School or Kerman in general?
This is my 4th year at KHS, and I taught 11 years in Fresno
- What Period (time of day) is your favorite and why?
I like the first part of the day the best. Everything is new. This is when I figure out if the “brilliant” lesson I designed is actually going to work.
- What is your favorite part about the high school?
The students. Generally speaking, the students here are much kinder than what I encountered in Fresno.
- What would you like to change about your teaching or teaching style?
I can’t wait until I get into a REAL science room in the new building! Then I could add labs to my classes. That’s what I truly want to change.
- What was high school like for you?
I liked it well enough to make a career out of it. Most of my closest friends I met 27 years ago as a freshman. I was never into sports, but I participated in Colorguard and several clubs.
- What teachers influenced you when you were in High School?
My biology teacher, Mr. Ratcliffe. The guy was insane, but it was always interesting in his class. 100% project-based. We never filled out a worksheet.
- Who is your Role Model?
My father. We don’t see eye-to-eye on a lot of things, but I try to model my behavior on how he lives. He is hardworking, humble, honest, and positive. He will always be available to help anyone… friend or enemy. And he always gives what he has to those who need it more than he does.
- If you were to live anywhere in the World, where would you live?
If I were to magically become independently wealthy tomorrow, my husband and I would spend 5 years in each of these continents: South America, Europe, Africa, Asia, and Australia. Then we’d retire in Hawaii.
- What is your favorite hobby?
I have a lot of hobbies. Here are my most unusual: olympic weightlifting, tablet wearing (this makes bands that look like guitar straps), and CrossFit. And I’m learning how to play a Celtic drum called a bodhran. I also surf very badly.
- What type of Music do you like? (Favorite Artist, Genre)
How about some commonalities? I like music with a strong bass line, vocal harmony, interesting percussive elements, and a natural, unsynthesized sound.
- What color best represents you and why?
Brown. It isn’t my favorite color by any means, but it’s my color regardless. Brown is strong, stable, and nurturing. Brown is supportive. You need brown dirt to grow beautiful, flashy flowers. So I endeavor to be brown. This seems right for an educator.
- What is your favorite book?
Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury is my all-time favorite. I read it as a Junior in high school. Ironically, it was banned at the time. I don’t know if that’s still true.
- What is your favorite food and drink?
Mediterranean food. By that I mean the food of ANY country that comes into contact with the Mediterranean Sea. Southern European, Middle Eastern, North African… etc.
- What is your favorite television show?
I don’t watch TV… I have too many hobbies.
- If you were an animal which one would you be and why?
I’m perfectly content as a human animal. As a human animal I have the ability to question, reason, and explore… not only my world but others as well. I wouldn’t be me if those abilities were taken away.